Vigorous Blog

Hi. I'm a student at KANSAI foreign language university in Japan. I'm majoring in English. This blog is a part of my homework. I wanna get along with you! Shall we talk together for a while??

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Japanese Gesture

A common gesture in Japan, especially for middle-aged or elderly men, is putting our opened hand in front of the chest or chin. The thumb is the closest to our body. This action means, “I’m sorry.” or “Excuse me.” It's made when expressing apology or regret, or making a request to others. At the same time, the face should express "sorry".
Also, it can be used when we try to make our way through the crowd in a train. In this case, additionally, you had better say "Suimasen.(Excuse me)" so that the others can notice you are trying to do that. When you do that, you can feel Japanese. Let's try!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home